This salad recipe is perfect for midweek quick healthy dinners, when you are craving big flavours but don’t have a lot of time up your sleeve. Likewise this fragrant and crunchy salad is also fabulous enjoyed at your desk during the week and guaranteed to liven up an otherwise boring desk lunch!
Ingredients for 4 people as a large salad:
1/2 chinese cabbage – finely chopped
1/4 red cabbage – finely chopped
1 bunch coriander – roughly chopped
1 bunch mint – roughly chopped
1 cup cashew nuts – toasted (dry fry pan)
1 red onion – peeled and finely sliced
2 tbs sesame seeds – toasted (dry fry pan)
7 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs peanut oil
2 tbs caster sugar
2 limes – juice only
1 tbs rice wine vinegar
1tb fish sauce
- place all your chopped ingredients into a large salad bowl
- place all the salad dressing ingredients into a clean glass jar and shake well to combine – check the seasoning and add a little more lime juice, sugar or fish sauce if required
- using your hands mix all the salad ingredients together until well combined
- pour the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
- perfect on its own BUT also great with either poached or pan-fried chicken on top for an added protein and flavour boost
- you can also use this salad as a filling for rice paper rolls – in fact I often do!
- if you plan to take some to work for lunch – separate your lunch portion so you can dress it just before eating at your desk
- the flavours in this dish also work well with BBQ prawns, lamb or steak
- the salad is great for picnics – simply dress before serving